Wednesday, September 17, 2008

The Bigger the Bow, the Closer to God

Just by way of background, I have always been a Bow Girl. My wedding cake had a big white fondant bow on the top. In college, I had a collection of over 70 different hair ribbons - one to match virtually any outfit combination. My sweet ZTA sorority sisters at UNC used to tease me, because at night I would change my hair ribbon to match my pajamas. (Lord knows, you can't have a red hair ribbon and pink pajama pants. Because THAT would just be silly. Ahem).

So, when my precious little baby boy "Master P" was born, I was at a loss. He was always dressed to the nines in smocking and appliques, but despite DH's laments that I "dressed him like a girl," I obviously wasn't going to be putting any bows on my sweet boy. It was a dark period for the Bow Girl.

Then, 2 and a half years later, "Miss Priss" was born, and the Bow Girl in me rejoiced. At last, a girl to dress in bows! Then, sadly, I remembered that my babies are mostly bald. Miss Priss was no different than her brother before her. Blonde peach fuzz is not conducive to bows. I would have to wait a little longer.

By the time Miss Priss had arguably enough hair to be seen from a few feet away, she was also regrettably old enough to have an opinion about Mommy putting strange objects in her hair. And so began "Bow Training."

I have often had friends ask how I am able to get Miss Priss to keep bows in her hair. Bow Training was the secret. It requires three things: (1) a baby; (2) a bow; and (3) a burning desire to succeed. Think of it like potty training - Eventually, if you persevere, you will prevail. Bow Training consisted of sticking the bow in Miss Priss's "hair" (if you can call it that - she still did not have much), and putting it back in immediately each and every time she pulled it out. We did this for a full weekend, over and over again. Finally, I think she just got tired of me chasing her around and relented. Victory was mine!!!! Now, Miss Priss's bows are limited only by her (still questionable) amount of hair. I suppose that when she has a collection of 70 hair ribbons someday, I'll have only myself to blame.

1 comment:

Cathy said...

Oh, to think that you share your secrets for free when you could publish them and make a fortune! You're the best! I think that Caroline is going to give me fits in the bow department when the time comes. Can I send her to you for a long weekend for full immersion training?