Tuesday, September 30, 2008

A Serious Post for Serious Times . . .

OK, so mostly this blog is just for me to rattle on about frivolous things like smocking and shopping. But, the economic events of this week have dimmed my shopping mood a bit (don't worry, it didn't stop me from picking up these wickedly cute little numbers for Miss Priss and Master P from Mini Boden, or a black cashmere sweater for myself).

For Miss Priss:
For Master P (who has an inexplicable penguin obsession):

So, all shopping aside, in the spirit of the seriousness of this week, here are some serious thoughts from me (somewhat unrelated to the US financial crisis, but not entirely):

I am a part-time working mother - I'm an attorney for a university. I love my job, and the people I work with. I love the financial freedom it gives me to buy fun handbags and spend more than I should on my children's clothes. That said, I worry that I am becoming the mother that is so busy managing the big picture that I am missing out on the little things. Case in point: Each week, Master P has to take three pictures from magazines, newspapers, etc., to pre-kindergarten that begin with the Letter of the Week. It's supposed to be an opportunity to sit down with your child, go through periodicals, etc., and find the items. You know what I've done the past two weeks? Just sat down myself on Monday night, pulled out the pictures, and handed them to Master P. Isn't that awful? It makes me cringe. I was just too worn out and too swamped to take the time to work with him. I know as he gets older, it will only get more challenging, and I don't want to be a "hands-off" parent, or one that simply does my children's work for them. The delicate balancing act that I have perfected over the past five years is starting to come crashing down, and I'm going to have to do something about it soon. It seems like Miss Priss and Master P are watching more and more dvds these days, and spending less time with Mommy, because Mommy is too busy just trying to keep our household running. I shouldn't complain, because DH is great about pitching in, and we have a wonderful lady who comes and cleans our house. It's just the management of our lives that seems to be taking more time as the children get older. I suppose that I shouldn't be blogging if I'm already short on free time, but oh, well!

I know I'm not alone in this, because I've had a few other moms in the same position make the same comment to me lately. Short of getting up at 4:30 am every day (which would bring its own set of issues - eek), I'm not sure how to confront this issue, but I've got to come up with something . . .






3 comments:

Cathy said...

CUTE MB haul!!!! How did I miss those? The penguin shirt owns me.

As for the serious stuff, I have no answers, only empathy. Last year E had to bring in a "letter bag" every week, and we pretty much always cut out pictures after the kids went to bed. I would go over the pictures with E in the morning and call it a joint activity! From what I gather from my SAHM friends, this problem is not unique to us working moms, though. I think especially once there is more than one child in the picture, just managing the basics of keeping everyone fed, clean, safe, and nurtured is a full time job. Add to that basic home management (I'm talking about putting the laundry away, not organizing the garage) and there is little time left. I guess all we can do is try to live in the moment and know that tomorrow is another day!

Barefoot in the Park said...

i LOVE the doggie shirt with matching pants! if i had kids i would have 2 (it looks just like my dog!)

ginny said...

honey, I am lovin' the cute clothes....nice procurement!
I echo the previous suggestion....go ahead and "prep" the activity by getting several pics out of magazines, most that fit the assignment, and others that don't. Do this after Master P is in bed....otherwise it will take FOREVER to go thru the periodicals, you will get continually drawn off task (believe me, I know this.). Then in the morning, take 5 minutes - maybe just perch by him at b-fast, and urge him to make the selections while you periodically lean over and provide guidance and praise. We do a lot of homework this way because Princess is much sharper in the morning than in the evening. I can still do a little of the bustling I need to do in the a.m., but we both are more involved in the homework together.
Hope this helps....