Tuesday, November 4, 2008

I love election day!

I am a political junkie. I freely admit it. I'm one of those people that even watches the conventions (BOTH parties) - I love the pageantry of the whole darn thing. I even love the roll call votes at the conventions: "Idaho, Land of the Great Potato, casts its votes for the next President of the United States, ___________". So fun. I should have known I was going to grow up to be a lawyer when I visited Washington, DC for the first time when I was a little girl, and I got goose bumps while checking out the Constitution on display at the National Archives (that said, my favorite thing to see in DC is still the display of the First Ladies' inaugural gowns at the US History Museum).

I always think that voting is such a fun, friendly experience. I waited in line for about 30-40 minutes this morning, and had such nice conversations with the people around me. It didn't matter who we were voting for - the shared experience was still a pleasure. Plus, our polling place is awesome and has snacks and drinks for while you wait, so it really wasn't bad at all.

Usually, on election night, Mr. Belle and I crack open a bottle of wine and sit back to watch the fun. [Oh, how you will be missed tonight, Tim Russert]. Mr. Belle's an election junkie too, so we are a good pair. Tonight, we're actually going to an Election Watch party at a friend's house, so that should be even more fun - I'm taking dip with red, white and blue chips, I think, to get in the spirit of the day. I just wish that I thought it wasn't going to be a complete blowout tonight, because I like it so much better when there is a little bit of suspense. It is certainly exciting that, regardless of the outcome, the result of this election will make history, with either an African-American President, or a female VP. That's pretty darn cool.

So, whether your candidate wins or loses, Happy Election Day!

2 comments:

Cathy said...

I love this post, Carolina Belle! Hey, I saw the First Lady dresses with you! I love that your polling place provides snacks and drinks -- that would make me want to vote twice!! (oh yeah, we don't do that in this country). On my food blog, I posted something about an election night dinner, and someone commented that a great game for a returns-watching party would be pin the tail on the donkey/elephant. How fun would that be -- isn't the blogosphere great? I agree that this has been a historic election. I thought both men carried themselves with class last night. Hope you had fun at your party!

Melissa @ I Pick Pretty said...

Thank you for your upbeat take on this great American institution, which I am in need of this morning. That sort of thing, plus a little of "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington", pushed me in the "legally blonde" career direction as well . . .